AutoZone are dedicated to ensuring you make it to your destination safely this holiday. We’ve put together some guidelines to help you prepare for your journey.
A little bit of planning ahead will save you time and money in the long run.
A few weeks before you leave on your journey, you need to check if your “wheels” are in order. Here are a few checks:
Remember to pack entertainment for the children. This way, they will be too busy to distract you while you are driving!
- Ensure that your car and trailer have been serviced properly before embarking on your journey
- Check your oil level
- Check your brake fluid levels
- Check your coolant levels
- Check the fuses and globes of your indicator and tail lights on both your trailer and car
- Check that your wiper blades are in good working order
- Check that your car, trailer and driver’s licenses are valid
- Check that your trailer has the necessary visibility and reflective tape so that it is roadworthy
- Get an up-to-date Map Book for your car or the most recent software on your GPS unit
Now that your vehicle is checked and ready for the journey, make sure that you are stocked up on the necessary items to ensure that any mishaps on the journey can be handled with the least stress possible. Here is a checklist for the items you should have in your boot:
- A jack
- A tow rope or a tow bar
- A wheel spanner for both your car and your trailer
- A spare tyre for your car and trailer. The spare tyre should be roadworthy and correctly inflated.
- A foot/hand pump for flat tyres
- A canister of Emergency Tyre Weld/Tyre Inflator
- A torch/roadside emergency beacon as well as an extra set of batteries
- A warning triangle so that you can warn oncoming vehicles of your position
- A Spirex First Aid Kit and an AutoKraft Emergency Roadside Kit
- A visibility vest so that you are clearly visible should you be standing on the side of the road
- An Ecotech globe kit and spare set of fuses to match your vehicle
- An Ampro Tool Kit so that you have the necessary tools to help in an emergency or should you have a small emergency, you have the tools to be able to fix it
If by chance things do happen on the road, AutoZone is there for you. Contact our National Call Centre on 0861 122 111 or visit our Store Locator
find your nearest AutoZone. Otherwise, call our Pit Crew on 0800 200 993, 7 days a week, from 7 am – 7 pm for any technical advice.
While you are travelling it is very important that you have refreshments handy so, pack a cooler box filled with goodies and stop every 2 hours in order to stretch your legs and avoid driving fatigue!
Download a PDF of our Safety Checklist for Holiday Travelling